A privately held, owner operated services company is seeking a CFO to lead its accounting and finance function. The CFO will lead and manage the Accounting, Finance, Information Technology, and Procurement functions.
• All accounting functions including billing, accounts receivable, collections, accounts payable, and payroll.
• All procurement, information technology, and facilities management functions.
• Managing the monthly accounting close process.
• Managing the preparation of monthly financial statements for management including all management reporting and analysis.
• Leading the annual budgeting and planning process including all reporting and analysis.
• Reviewing the accrual calculation for related insurance liabilities.
• Leading the accrual to cash tax management process at year-end with the assistance of outside accounting firm.
• Monitoring cash position and managing banking relationship on a transactional level.
• Developing cash management/funding strategies related to acquisitions as needed.
• Managing, training and developing all accounting and related administrative staff.
• Reviewing processes for and implementing improvements to internal controls for key areas of accounting, finance, procurement, and facilities management.
• Establishing and maintaining internal controls.
• Managing and reducing expenses.
• Establishing, monitoring and ensuring compliance for financial and administrative reporting policies and procedures.
• Managing vendor relations – IT, Accounting, and Payroll.
• Participating in Strategic Planning sessions with executive leadership team and driving business process initiatives for current and future years.
• Developing strategy for IT, including oversight/direction of external IT relationships and projects including PC/phone support and CRM database support.
• Special Projects as needed, specifically assisting with all phases of acquisitions by the company.
BASIC EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting or Finance required.
• More than 5 years' experience in managing an Accounting/Finance Team. 10+ total years of experience.
• Prior experience as the #1 Accounting/Finance professional (CFO role) required.
• Prior experience working for a privately held owner-operator company (not a business unit) required.
• Strong leadership experience (10+ FTE’s) with demonstrated examples of improving processes and driving change within an organization required.
• Strong Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and financial reporting skills required.
• Detail oriented and analytical – must be able to present accurate and timely financial information and analysis to the CEO for decision making.
• Prior experience working for a services industry with multiple locations/entities preferred.
• Prior experience working in a low margin operating model (less than 20% gross margin) environment preferred.
• General understanding of job costing principles preferred.
• General understanding of cash basis tax principles.
• General understanding of pass through tax entities (LLC or Sub Chapter S) preferred.
• Prior public accounting experience with a strong preference of Big 4 public accounting preferred.
• CPA preferred.
• MPB preferred.
• Judgment: Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
• Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
• Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
• Oral Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
• Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Project Management: Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
• Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
BASIC SUBJECT KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
• Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
• Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes one’s self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
• Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
• Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
BASIC TASK KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
• Reasoning and analytical skills related to the ability to solve practical problems via a logical, analytic approach, the ability to simplify complicated problems using assumptions and the ability to validate work using verification techniques.
• Strong time management and organizational skills. Ability to work under dynamic schedule constraints and consistently meet deliverable timelines.
• Strong systems acumen, including advanced experience with ERP systems, financial reporting software, and Microsoft Office applications.